18.2.13

Monday already?

I was a little excited but mostly blorft. 'Blorft' is an adjective I just made up that means 'Completely overwhelmed but proceeding as if everything is fine and reacting to the stress with the torpor of a possum.'    --Tina Fey


Monday, bloody Monday. I'm afraid I have started off my week on the wrong foot. "Blorft," if you will. There are few things I hate more than this feeling. I would even prefer sardines on my pizza or cat hair in my shower soap over being blorft.

Last week I spent hours on my Web Design homework, only for the site to crash, forcing me to start all over from a clean slate. Yesterday, I sat down to redo it, and completely underestimated the amount of time it would take. ALSO, i forgot that it was due at 8 pm. I finished at 9:30. Frick.

I volunteered to teach a color class for our two new stylists this morning. I also underestimated the amount of time color class + lunch + driving to school would take, and arrived at school just in the nick of time for the lab to be closing. The lab is where I need to be to finish the last 3 hours of video editing that needs be done by Wednesday. Double Frick. 

My first Spanish test is on Wednesday. I just took a pretest online to determine how I will do. Practically failed. Triple Frick.

Alright, that's enough with the fricks. 

Time to refocus, take a deep breath, and start over. 

I just wish I was one of those people that dealt with stress by kicking into overdrive. So. not. me. Much like Ms. Fey, the torpor of a possum could not be a better description. Except for maybe a sloth. Because sloths always look like they are smiling, its a creepy "you can't tell what I'm thinking smile," but a smile nonetheless. Yes, I think the lethargy of a sloth is a perfect description for my reaction to stress. I find whoever seems comforting nearest me, latch on, smile, and pretend like life's not happening.

I convince myself all that I need is a Steve Carrell movie, wine, my dog, and a mountain of carbohydrates to drown in. 

What I really need is a life coach and a deep breath, but I'll get to that when I decide I'm ready to actually do something about being stressed. For now, I'm just going to smile, pretend everything is fine, and continue on my way with the torpor of a possum. Sloth.

1 comment:

  1. Girl. I feel ya. I don't know anything quite so stressful as doing school on top of life. If only we could express this to every student out there thinking of dropping out. Lord.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please post away! In the drop down menu, choose what type of email or blog account you have to log in. OR you may post as anonymous.


Thanks for stopping by!